The CPA was founded in 2001 by several enterprising postdocs. They understood the need to create an organization specifically designed around postdoc issues, with a mission to bolster the postdoc community by providing services not offered by Caltech and JPL administration and offering a collective voice for representation on campus.
The inaugural CPA Board worked to raise the necessary funds for operations, construct the CPA bylaws, and begin work on numerous projects. Now years later, with centralized funding from the Office of the Provost, the current CPA Board has matured to provide a high level of programming and advocacy support to the postdoc community.
Some of our accomplishments include:
- working with Human Resources to establish the Office of Postdoctoral Scholars/Visitors to provide specific resources to each postdoc
- advocating positive change, such as the successful push for the inclusion of postdocs into the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and increased equity of health and welfare benefits
- maintaining and growing relationships with other groups and organizations on campus to increase campus awareness of the CPA and postdoc issues
- maintaining continuous growth of our career programming for professional development
- providing social and cultural forums for postdoc community development
The CPA is grateful to the Office of the Provost for financia support. Indeed, all of our programming, activities, and events are a direct result of the shared vision between the CPA and Provost. We also thank the many faculty, administrators, and staff who have continued to support our efforts. Yet perhaps above all, the postdocs who serve the CPA and their community deserve extraordinary praise for their work. With their help, the CPA looks forward to many future successes.
The CPA Board meets once a month. All postdocs are welcome to attend. Contact the board for specific information about the date, time and location of our next meeting.
The two standing committees of the CPA are Social and Career.
The activities of the CPA over the past year are summarized in an Annual Report, available upon request.