Click here for job listings links, both academic and non-academic.
Resources at Caltech
Hixon Writing Center offers writing consultations and online resources to support your writing and communication endeavors. Writing Specialists are available (in person or via Zoom) to help you with new or ongoing writing projects such as articles, proposals, figures, posters, or application materials, to name a few. They can help at any stage of the process, whether you have a written draft you'd like to discuss or if you'd like to motivate progress or brainstorm ideas before you start drafting. Note that they have both Generalist Writing Specialists with English degrees as well as STEM Writing Specialists who have backgrounds in STEM disciplines and technical writing.
Career Advising and Experiential Learning (formerly Career Development Center) is committed to assisting Caltech students, postdocs, and alumni with career planning, including career exploration, graduate and professional school advising, and job search strategies for full-time employment, internships, and related opportunities.
They offer support at all stages of career development, from exploration of interests and career options to job hunting specifics such as mock interviews and salary negotiation techniques. They also maintain a career library, provide a program of workshops, and individual counseling sessions to provide the information and personal support that our community requires as they make and implement decisions about their careers.
The Caltech Alumni Association invites all Caltech postdocs to use their career services to connect with professionals, interact with experts, research contacts, and find a job.
After postdoctoral scholars leave Caltech, they are eligible for and can request alumni email accounts, the application form for which can be accessed through the "Request New Account" form at Alumni Email FAQs.
- Preparing Your NIH Application: A good website for general information on how to prepare the forms for your NIH application.
- Center for Scientific Review: Ever wondered what those five review areas really mean? View it from the horse's mouth so to speak on this NIH website.
- Career Award Wizard: Ever wondered what Career Award at the NIH is right for you? Here's a quick way to find out.
- Grant Writing Tips Sheets
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Tomorrow's Professor: Preparing for careers in science and engineering
- Caltech Project for Effective Teaching: CPET's goal is to help members of the Caltech community become effective educators through practical training, an improved understanding of pedagogy, and individual feedback.
- Caltech Precollege Science Initiative: Science Club and teaching opportunities: a collaborative effort, linking science and engineering professionals with educators, teachers, and school administrators.
- Caltech Classroom Connection: Caltech outreach brings scientists into local classrooms. This program pairs Caltech volunteers with local pre-college educators.
General Postdoc Career Information
- National Postdoctoral Association: career planning resources from the National Postdoc Association
- Caltech Center for Technology and Management Education: industrial relations center at Caltech
- Caltech Biotech Club
- The Scientist: news journal for life scientists
- NIH Virtual Career Center: This webpage is useful for anyone looking at jobs and how to get the right one for their interests.
- Diversity postdoctoral fellowships & opportunities
- Career Planing exercise suggested by CTLO
Dual-Career Couple Links
- Dual-Career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know: a 2008 report by the Clayman Institute, acting as a guide for dual-career couples in academia
- Dual Science Career Couples
- Articles about spousal hiring in academia: #1 and #2