National Postdoc Appreciation Week 2019
From September 16 to 21, 2019, is the 10th National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW). Our CPA committees have prepared a series of representative events to showcase and celebrate this annual postdoc festival.
Join us on (and off) campus for a week of events to show appreciation to you, as a postdoc but also as a person, as well as your family. There will be social events, career-oriented events, free food and drinks, and even a cross-campus event to meet fellow postdocs from USC and UCLA!
- Monday 9/16, 4-5pm: Project Management Seminar (Kerckhoff, Room 119). Please join us for a coffee-break seminar with our esteemed guest, Dr. Stefania Forner. The focus of the talk will be centered on the efficient design, development, and management of successful projects in an academic setting. Please RSVP to help us plan for food for the event. Learn more about this event.
- Monday 9/16, 6-9pm: Diversity Mixer (Magnolia House, 492 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101). As part of the National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) 2019, the CPA invites LGBTQ+ and allies community for a diversity happy hour. During NPAW our community promotes awareness about issues surrounding our diverse Caltech postdoc community, and together with allies community, we hope to take this opportunity for LGBTQ+ individuals to enjoy and to celebrate their identities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Tuesday 9/17, 5:30 - 9 pm: Salsa Club demo + wine (East Beckman Institute and Gene Pool). Caltech Postdoctoral Association (CPA) and Caltech Salsa Club are organising a salsa class for beginners (from 5:30pm to 6:30pm), followed by a salsa show (given by current salsa club members), and salsa social dancing for all those who want to give it a try! Everyone is welcome to attend, no previous salsa experience required. Wine will be provided. Come join us!
- Wednesday 9/18, 9am-5pm: Professional Headshots (Alumni House). The Caltech Postdoctoral Association (CPA) Career committee would like to invite postdocs to get their photo taken by a professional photographer. Dress to impress and use your new headshot for your website, LinkedIn profile, or as a gift to Mom. It's on us! Please sign-up for your slot ASAP - spaces are limited! Learn more about this event.
- Wednesday 9/18, 6-7pm: CPA STEM for Families (Dabney courtyard). CPA STEM for families program: teachers and group coordinators of our current 16 weekly classes, public lectures team, postdocs who participate and volunteers will meet and celebrate the new academic year start. Please come to learn more about us!
- Thursday 9/19, 3:30-4:30 pm: Leadership Development and Coaching Coffee & Career (Little Chandler, next to the old Red Door Cafe). In June 2019, the Caltech Postdoc Association in collaboration with the Positive Psychology program at Claremont Graduate University launched the inaugural postdoc leadership development and coaching program. We will be accepting applications for the next cycle of postdocs starting in November. Join us for a special Q & A session with coaches Cecelia Dotzler, MBA and Barbara Blatz-Stone, MA. Come ask questions about the coaching program, past leadership workshops and general questions about leadership, work-life balance, stress and time-management and more! Bring your own mug! Coffee & cookies will be provided. Learn more about this event.
- Friday 9/20, 12-1:30 pm: Outreach Lunch Session (Tables next to Chandler Cafeteria). The Caltech Science for March is the CPA annual outreach event that serves ~2500 people of all ages. This tradition was started by the CPA in 2017-2018 and was established under the leadership of the CPA in collaboration with the CTLO, TACIT, and GSC. We invite Caltech postdocs to stop by, learn more about this event, and meet last year participants. The goal is to share our experiences, answer your questions, and encourage you to participate in the CSFM2019.
- Friday 9/20, 6 - 10 pm: Intl Food Fest/Happy Hour (Alumni House). As part of the National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) 2019, the CPA invites our diverse postdoc community for an international potluck & karaoke Happy Hour. During NPAW our community promotes awareness about issues surrounding our diverse Caltech postdoc community and we hope you can come and take this opportunity to exchange recipes, eat some delicious food, sing your favorite songs and connect in a multicultural environment. It would be nice if you could bring a typical meal of your country, but if you don't have time to buy food or cook (even better), please come anyway and share food, drinks, and songs with the rest of the community! Either way, please remember to RSVP before you come, so we can better prepare food.
- Saturday 9/21, 3-6 pm: LA Area Postdoc Picnic (LA State Historic Park, 1245 North Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012). Postdoc Associations from the LA Area are getting together to host a potluck picnic at the Los Angeles State Historic Park, in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) 2019. We are inviting all postdocs and their families to join us for a fun and relaxed Saturday afternoon. Snacks and drinks will be provided, as well as cups, plates, utensils, and napkins. Please bring some food or drinks to share, sunscreen, toys/games for kids (or adults!) and blankets or camping chairs to sit. RSVP encouraged for headcount and to organize transportation. Learn more about this event.
We are part of a national event. Check out the NPAW website.
The CPA blog is live! Check it out here for our recent events and useful resources.