Here is a list of campus resources useful for postdocs:
- Get ready before you arrive! Everything you need to know about moving to Caltech/California/the US.
- The International Office also provides useful information about relocation, employement, activities and spouses.
- Find your way on campus: map of Caltech.
- The Postdoctoral Scholars Office: the link between postdocs and the administration
- The Postdoc Handbook
- Caltech Postdoc Housing: available to postdocs during their first year at Caltech. There is usually a long waiting list so our advice: apply as early as possible (3-4 months before your start date).
Personal and professional development
- Human Resources postdoc specialists: the HR department has Postdoc Specialists, both for administrative matters (concerning your appointment) as well as for all matters regarding relocation, transition, and adjustments to the United States and Caltech. Contact them (even before you arrive at Caltech) and make sure you take advantage of this service!
- HR WorkLife Services
- Staff and Faculty Consultation Center: provides free-of-charge assessment, problem-solving, counselling, and/or referral services to Caltech employees and their families.
- Caltech classes: postdocs are eligible to attend any course taught at Caltech for free! If you think you would benefit by learning another area of science, or that an extra language would be valuable for your career see what's available at the office of the registrar (click on "course schedule"). To formally register for a course you must first visit the office of the registrar to get a form and take this to the course instructor to be signed then take this to the Dean of Students and to the Bursar for signatures and return it to the office of the registrar.
- Caltech Bike Lab website
- Guide to Bicycling in Pasadena and LA
- Transit Guide to LA
- Parking at Caltech: check the parking regulations and permits. To encourage biking and walking to work, Caltech offers 3 free daily parking permits each month to use in case bikers/walkers need to bring a vehicle onto Campus.
Resources for families
- Family Resources (HR) and Parenting at Caltech (more resources)
- Preschool Cooperative at Caltech
- Resources through the Caltech Women's Club:
- Caltech International Spouses Club
- STEM for families program
- Caltech clubs and associations
- Caltech Athletics
- Discounts for LA area attractions and movie theaters
- Caltech Women's Club - social networking, parent resources, social events such as hiking and wine tasting. JPL postdocs welcome as well.
- Caltech Master Calendar - calendar of events happening on campus everyday
- Caltech Science Hikes